Tuesday 19 February 2013

Day 39 - Perv. Beach

After a morning snooze Laura and I packed our stuff, and as she wasn't tired, we decided to move away from Fort Cochin, as it was a bit boring, great if you like watching fighting, and Gelatos but apart from that there isn't much there. Before heading off I introduced Laura to the big Chinese fishing nets, and while we were there we spotted a couple of men fishing with weighted fishing nets, it is impressive, one was wearing a 'Ronaldo' football shirt, traditional dress in these parts.

We booked a ferry from Cochin to the island of Vypin once there we were going to head to a beach and I can finally get my swim on. And catch some rays, I'm still pretty much the same colour as I was when I left Wales which is a pasty alabaster talcum powder white, I think I reflect more light than actually hits me. To make the epic 30km journey we start on a ferry, the distance to travel is about 100m if it wasn't for the camera, clothes, laptop and phone, I'd swim it, however for 5p the ferry will take you across in the luxury only a fish market skip could match. The ferry is used by cars and vans too, and for the minute that the journey takes the drivers sit there waiting patiently, however within 0.5 seconds of arriving on the jetty, they are tooting their horns to get off, to help you picture this, there are  8 cars on the ferry, you'd think it was a 5 mile traffic jam the way they are all jostling to get ahead.

I haggle a Rickshaw down and we head off tooting at everything and trying to overtake anything that is ahead regardless of blind corners and oncoming traffic all while being on the phone. On arrival the 'Resort' looks nice, and is 50m from the sea. We throw our bags in the room and head for the beach. There is big waves, and quite a few locals, just standing about looking at the white people, then you notice some are taking photos 'on the sly' of the women lying there, it is pretty bad.

Regardless we both hop into the sea and get thrown about by the waves, slowly a bigger crowd starts to form, all staring waiting for Laura to get out of the water so they can have a perve and probably take some snaps with their phones. I get a towel and hand it to Laura as she gets out and I could almost hear the groan of 50 odd Indian men thinking "GIT!" It is pretty bad, there is nothing wrong with a crafty look at someone you find attractive, but they were just being rude. I think if they were doing it to an Indian wife, they'd have been told off by the husband. I, on the other hand just liked ruining their fun, standing in the way when someone was trying to take a sneaky picture.
After the beach we headed back to the room to have a shower and start exploring our 'resort', some of the other rooms are on small 'islands' on the backwaters, they look nicer so I start getting room envy, but this soon stops when I realise that there is hoards of mosquitoes waiting to pounce as you step out. We suss out a bar, and order some rum and cokes, and a couple of bottles of wine,
 "No wine, No rum."
"Ok, what do you have ?"
 "Beer."
"Ok two bottles of Heineken."
"Only Fosters."
"Ok, two bottles of Fosters."
He was a great barman, he turned a sentence into a 5 minute long conversation.  Happily the beers, were only about £2 for large bottles, which is insulting over here, but pretty good for Brits. I got tipsy, as we had food, a great selection of random stuff for me to taste. I gave 'Steve the gallStone a bashing', and after a crafty beer on the beach went back to the room and fell into a coma.
A bird on the backwaters

Perfect moment for an overtaking maneuver

Ronaldo's mate catching some flip flops

Ronaldo removing a flip flop from his net.


No comments:

Post a Comment