Saturday 2 February 2013

Day 21 - Pre wedding preparations

This morning were going to go to a family members house for food. It is a tradition that for a week proceeding the wedding, meals are all taken at this house. I guess it is a bonding process and also allows any wedding plans to be discussed. For me it is a nice way to get bombarded with names faces and small branches of a family tree that, when seen in its entirety would look like a Giant Redwood wrapped in Ivy. I smile and nod a lot, for some reason my normally bad memory for names is terrible. I'm literally remembering nobody.
Everyone is friendly and really welcoming I'm starting to see a pattern in the questions...the usual where are you from, then "what do you think of our food?" (I do actually like it)  everyone seems surprised that I can handle the mild levels of spice they are giving me. Little do they know I used to deliver curries for the Barry Balti in my Mg Metro, the perk of the job was a free meal every night. I was using 'chicken Phals' as eyewash after a year of that job.
After breakfast we headed back to the palace to pick out clothes and get something that would fit my 'athletic' but long frame. Not your standard Indian body type. I bought some smart shirts a pair of black 'slacks' and and I was loaned a 'shurwani' a sort of long Indian style shirt that stops just above the knee. A man arrived to iron the clothes the shoes were cleaned and before long we were ready to head back for dinner at the food house. The morning would be taken up with a ceremony / brunch then an evening do at which sameep would be dancing at. It is sort of a pre wedding brunch followed by a pre wedding reception. The real wedding ceremony would take place the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment