Wednesday 13 February 2013

Day 29 - Udaipur day one... what the hell is wrong with me


Stomach has got a little better by the morning but the pain had been replaced by the feeling of a stitch, just below my ribs on my right hand side. It hurts to get out of bed. But we move on to a different hostel by the lake, it is closer to the sights and there is more backpackers there, so hopefully more madness will take place, but feeling a little frail I'm worried that I might not be in the mood for a party, the place is run by what looks like a vary dark skinned red haired Indian mad professor, with a maniacal cheesy grin he welcomes us in to the place. He advises us that there is a room spare and it has great views... He shows us the room with a view of the Lake Palace that only a months worth of sessions with a chiropractor will give you the ability to see, it does have a balcony however and I'm just glad to put my bag down and start dosing up on Paracetamol and whatever else I can have that might sort me out.


I'm working on the idea that I'm suffering from acid reflux, when stomach acid is produced and comes up the wrong way burning the tube a bit as it passes. I get some antacid, take it and my stomach feels better, but the barbed wire is still there. In fact it is getting worse, like a stitch it is starting to hurt standing upright, I apply a slight stoop and for walking I'm better, however, to stop any jolting that your body normally takes without a problem I have to walk slow... So now I'm basically an old man stopping slightly and walking slowly, not only that my personality has changed, I can't seem to make a joke or listen to anything anyone has to say, I'm preoccupied with trying to find a comfortable spot, a slight stoop but not so much that my swollen stomach gets squeezed by my rib cage... what a mess. 

Sameep leaves in the morning, so I try to make the most of the day, we go on a boat trip that takes us around the Lake Palace, it is a Palace... that's in a lake. It's like something you'd see in a Bond movie oddly enough. Half way round the 'Captain' stops the boat and we wait for more nautical adventurers, I spot a life jacket draped over a large life ring on the bow of the boat, I sit in it like a nest and relax in the sun. I haven't slept properly for 2 days now, and the voices I hear about the quayside drift away, I sleep for a few minutes and feel 10 times better when I'm woken up by a fatty rocking the boat as he waddles in. After the boat trip we head in to the City Palace, it is a Palace... in the City,  we had a little tour around, I was putting on a brave face, but every step was agony. It was worth it for the pictures and the views. I knew I was seeing amazing things, but I wasn't appreciating it to be honest. I'll have to go back.
A tranquil courtyard about 5 floors up.


Some fisherman, it seems that they aren't just trying to have a few hours away from the wife, unlike fisherman back in the UK.

After the tour I had a lie down and Sameep headed out to try and get some other drug he once had that worked well on his stomach once. I'm sure mixing all these drugs isn't a good idea but what the hell, it can't get much worse, I try to sleep, but the best I can manage is lying there trying not to hold my breath, the pressure hurts, breathing in hurts because of the movement of my diaphragm, all the time trying to find the sweet spot, it appears to be lying on my left side, mind you, moving in bed uses my abs and they seem to press on something. Not only that, the moment you find the sweet spot my abs relax and everything inside relaxes, then the pain starts... it takes your breath away which makes you tense and well as usual I'm in pain.  Sameep comes back and start to sit up to talk about stuff, the plans for the night (Octopussy night, crafty Rum and coke, food etc). 

We head out and try and have a normal night, we watch Bond, and after what is clearly a crappy film and a great example of how far Bond has come, I call it a night. I want sleep. As I'm climbing very gingerly into bed gasping for breath Sameep lets out a sympathetic  "mate..." and I start laughing, each laugh is like I'm being stabbed in the side, it takes my breath away and makes me laugh, Sameep's infectious laugh makes it worse, I'm groaning in agonising pain but I can't stop laughing. He's a knob.
I find my comfortable spot and Sameep says " I think you should come back to Ahmedabad," I was kind of hoping he'd say that. I feel like I'm giving up on some great sights, but I can't go on like this, I can't stand up, lay down, crawl, walk, and I haven't tried to lift my bag yet.

Udaipur is known as the White city, due to the fact that most of the city...is white.

No comments:

Post a Comment