Monday 11 February 2013

Day 28 - Udiapur (Where Octopussy was filmed)

We had 'booked' a coach ride to Udiapur for one last session, a couple of nights having a drink or three, from there I'm going solo, I'm going to head off to Jaipur, then further north West, ending in Agra to see the 'Taj', then I'll fly from Delhi down to Kerala.
I managed to find a pretty good looking place that had a pool, and good sunset views but it was only for the second night, for some reason Sameep didn't like the idea of looking for a place when we arrived there so he booked somewhere else that had good ratings, for both nights. The journey up there was by coach and was 4 hours, luckily the seats went almost horizontal and I almost dropped off if it wasn't for the rumbling in my stomach and the ache I couldn't seem to get rid of.

The bus was driver pressing the horn more than a teenagers school shorts, he was weaving through traffic, and when we finally did get onto the Indian version of the Autobahn, he had to do an emergency stop, a heavy goods truck driving the wrong way up the fast lane of our side of the road, had stopped to chat to a heavy goods truck going the right way in the middle lane. The bus driver would have used the only lane left if it wasn't filled with people selling crash helmets, cold drinks,  a cobblers and fortune tellers.

Eventually we were told to get off, we were there... well near, we'd need a Rickshaw to get to the hotel that Sameep had booked, but after a few inquiries it turned out his hotel was too far away, we abandoned that booking too, and headed to the Rickshaw drivers hostel. It was ok, but not great, we had a beer, but it wasn't sitting well with me.
From the top of my pelvis to my sternum there was something amiss, my guts were swollen, and I was starting to feel a bit crappy, a bit like I did the night before, but this time there was no nausea. Being me, I decided to ignore it and hope it went away, maybe gassy beer wasn't a good idea, we eventually found a place that was run by a lady, she was tenacious and was determined to get us to stay at her place for another night, but we had found another place for the second night. Feeling a bit crap, I thought I'd stay another night on my own and have well earned day of doing very little. It was £4 a night so I thought what the hell. We went out for a Rum and coke and again, it wasn't sitting well, but the atmosphere was nice, weather was cold though, so I'm glad we didn't have a pool. Seeing I wasn't 100% we agreed an early night might be a better way of enjoying the place as I'll feel better in the morning.

Nope.
The view from the roof top terrace

The national bus stop for Udiapur

Number 8-12 Main Street, Udiapur, with the owners 'rides' outside. Turns out crazy paving is popular over here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment