Saturday 23 February 2013

Day 41 - WiFi hunt


I have suffered for two days with no WiFi and even though I like to think that I'm pretty good at roughing it, I'm struggling. I believe that there is essentials to life, these are :  water, shelter, food and at least 5mb broadband, ideally delivered via WiFi. Without these, mainly the WiFi, I'm stuck. You may as well stick me up a creak without a boat, and just give me a paddle. In fact with a laptop, DSLR camera, and my smart phone, you may as well give me an outboard motor, a paddle, and a set of skis... but easy on the boat. So like someone talking about the fountain of youth, or the lost city of Atlantis, a fellow traveller staying in the same beach house, said he had heard of a place, a beach cafe, that not only sold beers, but had WiFi. I gripped his collar and pinned him to the wall "Where Man ? Where ? Spit it out!"

Just  a small 6km walk along the beach with my backpack full of laptop, chargers, adapters, phone and my trusty camera. The midday sun is great, and walking 6km to find out that the nationwide strikes that are taking place also caused the beach cafe to close make it even better. At least we have been healthy and walked and seen some of the area. We decide (well I decide after whinging about being sun burnt) that walking along the road with its patchy shade would be better, and it would take less time than walking along the beach. The only drawback is the countless cute kids, all saying "hi, how are you", I didn't forget to leave off the question mark, they don't expect you to answer, when you do they giggle and talk to each other, clearly mocking the pasty turd sweating like a maraton runner. Every 20m there is another child waiting for you to get within earshot before they start grinning. It is cute the first 30 times.

As soon as we arrive back at the beach house, Laura says "Swim in the sea?" Within 2 minutes we are  jumping about in the water like a mad frogs. Fair play to Laura, she isn't afraid of the waves, even though she seems unable to stop water going up her hooter. I tried to point out that slowly expelling air out of it stops water going up, humming to yourself through your nose is all the air you need to push out to save your self from a sore bugle...It appears that being a teacher requires you to be good at teaching and not necessarily learning, as she seemed to actively suck the seawater up her nose. After inhaling about 2 litres we called it a day and walked the 20m back to the beach house where a fresh watermelon drink was waiting along with a friendly smile from our host Kuruvilla, I call him Paul as I have no hope of saying a name like that.

Before food was served we decided to burn 45 minutes by walking around the 'block' this means a walk along the back water / paddy field things, these are large man made lakes where people farm shrimps, crabs, fish and, by the looks of it, flip flops. We wander round saying hello to everyone, and taking pictures of everything.
Fisherman posing team in full swing.

Beach display team perfecting some moves.

 Cheer leaders egging on the display team

It's a crab from Laura's pants.


1 comment: