Tuesday 5 February 2013

Day 24 - aaaannndddd rest

No deadline today, no plans, nothing, we all planned a lie in so I guess there was sort of a plan and I intended to keep to it. I was woken up by the clatter of plates and small talk as lunch was being served, so I took this as my cue to get up and be social. I could have happily stayed in bed all day, but I'm sure there was something we could or should be doing.

As it would end up being a boring blog entry I thought I'd put in some of the observations I have made since being here :
Driving - 'Driving' isn't the word, 'aiming' is a better way of describing how people move their cars from one place to another. Traffic lights are a suggestion, and indicators are more like a turn signal caps lock...let me explain, to let someone know you want to turn you stick your arm out, if this is done whe the indicators flashing it means ARE turning. Nothing will stop you. There is a pecking order to traffic, mopeds and bikes at the bottom, then rickshaws, cars graded on size and fancyness, with trucks and busses ruling the road. All this is thrown out the window if you havent spotted the other vehicle, so there is a lot of pretend 'tunnel blindness' going on, staring straight ahead when the guy next to you is trying to merge with your lane is mandatory, as is tooting your horn to warn people of your approach to a junction, your un willingness to stop at a junction or your displeasure at the fact that everyone is facing you as you go the wrong way round a roundabout. The result is a constant din of nasily weasily little horns tooting from morning till dusk. I asked if there was a rule about tooting your horn between 07:00-23:00 onpy, like we have in the UK, "no..." was the unsurprising answer "however if you play loud music the police will come", was the less suprising followup. 

Food - I love it. Nothing is served without some sort of herb or spice in it. Im in a vegetarian region so, while meat is available it is like Partridge in the UK you can have it but it is a bit of a ballache to go and get it, blocks of cheese in 'curries' replace chicken, rice is a separate course and is mixed with Dal a mild sauce which is loosly similar to a korma sauce, the whole thing is then eaten with your hands usually with a roti (an oilier smaller version of a naan). It is great. All meals are a family event and im not sure if it just me being a guest but you get fed to death then some more is added to your plate. Stuffed Peratha will never be the same. The bonus is that I havent uad the lickity splits yet either. Mind you I havent eaten from a road side cafe.Yet.

Oh by the way that bloody eagle just attacked me again, but this time I was prepared !!!!!

Click here

1 comment: